Fall 2015 Parish Council Mailing Memo
PDF or [print_link]
I pray everyone had a blessed summer and is refreshed to begin the work of the League once more! It was wonderful to meet some of you at the 95th annual national convention and to share ideas and thoughts at the chairpersons of education and health luncheon. Unfortunately, many of you were not able to attend, so I thought I would include in this memo the questionnaire I provided to assist us in our luncheon discussions.
- Share, at your table, new and innovative programs and projects that have been initiated in your province, diocese and/or parish.
- What are some of your future plans?
- The duties of a chairperson of education and health are:
- Catholic education
- Catholic schools and catechesis
- Rites of Christian initiation
- Literacy and continuing education
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Wellness and sickness/disease
- Catholic education
Which of the above items do you feel are most in need of further promotion and/or attention? Why?
- 4. How do you envision nationally assisting and/or serving councils further, going forward in the League’s work “For God and Canada” through the education and health standing committee?
It is my hope that these questions are discussed within your parish council and that they will assist and guide you in your work as chairpersons. If you have any suggestions you would like to share with me, you can include them in your annual report, which will be passed along to me by your counterparts.
Remember our works within the parishes are the roots that nourish growth within the League. If you are looking for items to report or act upon within your councils, please refer to your diocesan and/or provincial counterparts’ communiques. You can also go to the national website and click on my communiques or oral report from the convention.
There is so much work to be done through education and health. To quote Nelson Mandela, “As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality exist in our world, none of us can truly rest.” Your council’s actions may be the impetus that lifts a child out of illiteracy, the loving hands to be held in hospice, or the arms and heart that were needed to save a teen from depression and suicide. Let education and health be the wings that make your council soar.
You are in my prayers always.
Your sister in the League,
National Chairperson of Education and Health