Communique #8 – Communications
National Chairperson of Communications Doreen Gowans, December 11, 2019
“Every time I read the Scriptures (hopefully daily), I should hear Jesus say to me,
‘Hey, I am talking to you!’ His words never condemn me, but everything He speaks,
whether comforting and affirming, or challenging and corrective,
is intended to bring deeper conversion and indelibly imprint upon me His own character.”
(Herbeck, D.) Hey! I’m Talking to You! Retrieved from blessedisshe.net.
As we begin the liturgical season of Advent, ask God to instill in us His Grace to hear Him, to listen to Him and to follow His spiritual direction for us in our lives today! This is a perfect time of the year to ask the Holy Spirit to inspire us as we approach Christmas and the birth of His Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. What is Grace? God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense!
National Office Staff: I would like to welcome all new staff to the national office. Please be patient and understanding when you place a call to national office as it takes time for new staff to learn the ins and outs of operations on the national level.
The Gift of Presence: The true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus has been lost in many homes today. With all the hustle and bustle, it can be the busiest season of the year, as we rush out to purchase gifts, groceries and all the necessities we think are necessary to have everything perfect for our family and guests. However, sometimes we overlook the little ones (our children and grandchildren) and their needs. Take the time to be present with our loved ones, our families.
According to ourmamavillage.com, tantrums mean:
- I’m overwhelmed.
- I’m trying to tell you about a need I have.
- I’m possibly hungry, tired, overwhelmed, lonely, or angry….
- I need to learn a new way to ask you for this need when I am calm.
- I’m new at figuring out big feelings.
- My brain can’t understand you when I’m feeling this much emotion.
- I need you to be calm so I can figure out these feelings.
Take the time to communicate our plans to our families so they don’t become stressed unnecessarily. Where possible get them involved. Communication can be a big stress relief and it can be comforting if we handle it properly. Take the time to review Christmas plans with our families ensuring they understand our needs and expectations.
Implementation Committee Update: Are you keeping councils informed of the updates from the implementation committee?
- The monthly updates are available on the national website.
- Do your members have questions? On the webpage there is a “click here” for members to use if they have questions about the strategic planning progress.
- Do your members want to participate? There is another “click here” on the same page should members want to participate in future surveys.
- Have you seen the map of Canada on the national website? It shows where councils have presented “The League of the Future—Year One” workshop as presented at the 2019 annual national convention in Calgary last August. Encourage councils in your province to send in the date, place and number of members attending the workshop to their diocesan president-elect as soon as the workshop has been completed. Do not wait until the whole diocese/province has completed the workshops to report.
The Canadian League Magazine: Encourage councils to use the magazine as a resource to educate their members. It is an excellent tool to start conversations or broaden discussions or propose ideas.
- Communicate to the members in your province that they may receive the magazine online, instead of in print. They need only ask their membership chairperson to mark this request on the renewal forms sent to national office.
- Encourage members to submit ideas to improve the magazine. I am always looking to keep the magazine modern and up to date and welcome any suggestions. All suggestions may be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Investigate if spiritual advisors in your province receive the magazine. Perhaps parish councils would like to consider it for a Christmas gift.
Communication Chain of Responsibility: This graph was included in the fall parish mailing to parish council presidents. Remind and encourage councils to review and use it.
I appreciate your support and dedication to the League. Keep up the GREAT work. May you and your families have a blessed Advent and a spiritually enriched Christmas season. I look forward to working with you in 2020.
May Our Lady of Good Counsel guide us as we work together to be the BEST communication team for and about the League.
Love and prayers,
National Chairperson of Communications