Communique #6 – Christian Family Life
National Chairperson of Christian Family Life Pat Deppiesse, December 3, 2019
Dear sisters in the League,
I write to you at this time, even though I know you are extremely busy with Christmas coming up so soon and all that entails; but, we need to be ready for the New Year!
Please be reminded of the very important Resolution 2019.01 Canada to Honour its Commitment to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Resolved, that national council of The Catholic Women’s League of Canada, in 99th annual national convention assembled, urges the federal government to honour its legal commitment to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child by providing legal protection to children before birth.
The action plan calls for members to:
- Write to the prime minister and minister of justice with copies to local members of parliament urging the legal protection to children before birth as stated in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child that Canada has signed and ratified.
- Educate members on the importance of legal protection for unborn children and encourage members to speak to family and friends.
- Educate members on the importance of understanding United Nations’ documents as they apply to the lives of Canadians and encourage members to speak to family and friends.
- Raise awareness to the annual Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children on January 22nd.
- Monitor the federal government’s response to this resolution.
I do hope when you have some free time after Christmas you can do some letter writing! It is also an excellent time to book a bus to a local Walk for Life and to write to encourage participation everywhere across the country.
I am pleased to offer a prayer previously included in a communique from former National Chairperson of Christian Family Life, Doreen Gowans.
Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe for the Unborn
(Printed with permission from CatholicCulture.org)
Our Lady of Guadalupe,
we turn to you who are the protectress of unborn children and ask that you intercede for us,
so that we may more firmly resolve to join you in protecting all human life.
Let our prayers be united to your perpetual motherly intercession
on behalf of those whose lives are threatened, be they in the womb of their mother,
on the bed of infirmity, or in the latter years of their life.
May our prayers also be coupled with peaceful action
which witnesses to the goodness and dignity of all human life, so that our firmness of purpose
may give courage to those who are fearful and bring light to those who are blinded by sin.
Encourage those who will be involved in the March for Life;
help them to walk closely with God and to give voice to the cry of the oppressed,
in order to remind our nation of its commitment to life,
liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people.
O Virgin Mother of God,
present our petitions to your Son and ask him to bless us with abundant life. Amen
I wish you beautiful sisters in the League a prayerful and holy Advent, a very happy and Merry Christmas, and a healthy and Happy New Year! May God bless you as you continue your work, “For God and Canada.”
National Chairperson of Christian Family Life