Communique #1 – President
National President and Chairperson of International Relations Fran Lucas, August 24, 2021.
Hello and thank you Judy, Janet, Colleen, Rosa and Chantal, as you return for your third year of presidency. Welcome to Sharon, Allison, June, Judy, Joline and Gay as you begin your two-year term! Your time together will provide opportunities to use your leadership skills and be another level of learning more about the League. I have every confidence you will be a tremendous team!
If you are interested in knowing more about me, please visit cwl.ca/general-information/meet-our-executive/ where an updated biography is available.
This communique serves as a reminder of the following:
- Please send me a copy of your communiques to your diocesan counterparts. All provincial officers are asked to copy their respective national counterparts. Impress on all officers the importance of reading every communique from national.
- The new two-year theme Catholic and Living It! will run from January 1, 2022, to December 31, 2023. There will be a supply of theme prayer cards sent to every parish council in the fall parish mailing in September. The winter issue of The Canadian League magazine will have information on the theme plans for the next two years. I hope that building relationships as a Catholic and Living It! will make for stronger family, member, council, parish communities, partner organizations and beyond. More information will be provided following the fall national executive/board meeting in October 2021.
- As The Catholic Women’s League of Canada Plans Strategically begins its year three work, please encourage your diocesan counterparts to keep members informed and therefore excited about what is to come. The League of the Future Year 3 presentation at the national annual meeting of members in August is available on the national website. Ensure that information is shared with your diocesan counterparts.
- If you are interested in my attendance at one of your provincial conventions in 2022 or 2023, please forward the convention date to me. It would be my pleasure to meet your members, personally hear the great work being accomplished by your councils and be able to share that work with the rest of the country.
- The various resources available to you, such as the National Manual of Policy and Procedures, How We Serve (particularly page 67), the Executive Handbook, etc., are ones you want to be familiar with. Please take the time to review them.
There is much excitement in the air! Councils readying for that long-awaited meeting, regional/diocesan/provincial committees. They are preparing to offer workshops on executive orientation. New provincial and diocesan presidents are looking forward to visits to their dioceses/regions or parishes. I pray Our Lady of Good Counsel will be with you and all members, guiding and keeping us safe.
Your sister in the League,